I made this dish for my husband’s birthday. It features our Duck Eggs and Duck Bacon (which is essentially cured duck breast sliced on the bias and leaving the fat in place). It was incredible! Best eaten the same day it is prepared as over time the “sauce” is absorbed into the noodles and loses the texture.
What you need:
- 3 duck eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 c. Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 package (8 oz.) Duck Bacon, Diced
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- 1 lb. fresh (or dried) Spaghetti
- Fresh Ground Pepper, to taste
- Fresh Sage, chiffonade (optional)
What you do:
- In a bowl, whisk together duck eggs and cheese. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium-high heat and add duck bacon. Cook until brown and fat has rendered (8-10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of slightly salted water, cook pasta according to the manufactures instructions until al dente.
- Drain pasta but reserve 1 c. of cooking water
- Slowly whisk 1/2 c. of the reserved water into the egg-cheese mixture.
- Return pan with duck bacon to the heat and add pasta and the remaining reserved water to the bacon, tossing to combine.
- Remove pan from heat and pour in the egg-cheese mixture and toss well to combine.
- Generously pepper to taste and add sage to garnish.
- Serve immediately.
Have a Happy Birthday (or toast whatever occasion) with this great dish and a glass of local Burgundy or Pinot Noir.